Monday, June 4, 2012

Un-Limited







Let me say up front that I have no problem whatsoever with The Limited or similar mall stores.  I think they have lovely clothes, but their lovely clothes are just not quite right for me.   I stopped by the store over the weekend with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, and my first reaction was that I wanted everything in the store... Then I realized that I have a lot of clothes that are very similar to styles found in the store, but mine cost a tiny fraction of theirs.
Striped Cardigan: $38.43
Image Credit: The Limited

This cardigan was the first item that caught my eye.  It has sequins (!), but I actually like the one I am wearing today better.  I think the progressively larger navy stripes in my version are slimming and add visual interest.
Cardigan, George, Walmart; tank, Oscar de la Renta; jeans, Miss Tina, Walmart; belt, Claire's; sandals, Born, Younkers; earrings, So & So, etsy; necklace, handmade by me.
My cardigan: $8 on clearance at Walmart.
 


 
The belt was a find from this weekend.  It was only $1 at Claire's.

This wasn't the only doppelganger I encountered at The Limited:

A pretty floral dress: $62.93
Image Credit: The Limited

$6 on clearance at Target





















A pretty cutout dress: $62.93
Image Credit: The Limited

My cutout dress (not yet worn): $24.99
I had a 10% off coupon,
so I actually paid $22.49.
Image Credit: Target



Are the more expensive clothes better quality?  Probably, but I know that my clothes are more likely to die from coffee spills or be exiled due to boredom than they are to wear out over years of wear.  I also like a lot of variety in my wardrobe, and I can afford to buy more pieces at discount and thrift stores.  For someone who has just a few key wardrobe pieces, mall stores may be perfect for you, but I think I'll stick to being unlimited.

Today is Visible Monday, and I feel both visible and fashionable beyond my means.  Check out what makes other bloggers feel visible at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style blog.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, LOL at the clothes dying from boredom -- so true!! I love your versions of the cardi and the cutout dress - and the savings are great. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target does have some great deals on clothing. I will pay more for better construction, fabrics and cut on a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost wore that same belt today. In yellow that I thrifted. I should have; we could have been twins.

    I love your cardigan and think it's actually better and more flattering that the pricier Limited cardigan. And I agree, for trendy stuff, I'd rather pay Target prices than more expensive mall prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you realized you had similar things in your wardrobe and could put a look together for less, but that new dress is killer and I like the one you bought BETTER than the Limited's version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did great with this look and the belt is precious! These days looking great for less is the way to go...our economy has all of in a creative mode!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.