Saturday, September 8, 2012

First Night, First Impressions

Our first day in India started at one in the morning.  We landed in Mumbai and took the shuttle a few blocks to the hotel.  From the moment we stepped out of the airport, India was a study in contrasts.

The hotel shuttle was a giant BMW sedan, while motorized rickshaws buzzed around us.  Even in the middle of the night, the city was busy and the streets were crowded, but the hotel was spacious and calm.  The hotel was clean and luxurious with sprawling, manicured gardens, while the surrounding streets were littered with makeshift shacks and piles of debris.

Every hotel we visited in India had a glass wall between the living/sleeping area and the bathroom.  I found it disconcerting, so I took photos.

As a bonus, you can see what I wore for travel.  I forgot to take outfit pics before we got on the first plane, so this is 30 hours in.  I wore a white button-down shirt, red camisole, and jeans.

Kingfisher and chocolates.  Good night.
I didn't manage to drink my last Kingfisher beer on the flight, so Stephen and I split it before we went to sleep.  After the long flights, we fell asleep with little trouble and woke up ready to explore.  On our agenda: the Gateway of India and Elephanta Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.