Tuesday, September 11, 2012

EBEW: Too School For Cool

Back To School | Everybody, Everywear
I wasn't sure what to do about this month's challenge.  I'm fairly certain I was uncool in high school.  I was definitely painfully self conscious and desperately wanted to fit in.  Didn't everyone.  Though I didn't know it at the time, the lessons I learned then lead me down the path I'm on now, where I proudly let me freak flag fly.  It taught me that fitting in is often overrated.


I was aiming for a preppy look that I never would have dared in high school (red pants!) combined with accessory relics from my past with a dash of my recent trip to India.  Even in high school I appreciated the value of thrifting.  One of my prom dresses came from Goodwill.
 

Button down shirt, ALC Stretch, thrifted; camisole, thrifted; red pants, J Crew, thrifted; scarf, purchased in India; shoes, American Eagle, Payless Shoes; earrings, gifted (thanks Mom!); lizard pendant, I don't remember; thumb and middle finger rings, handmade by me in high school jewelry class; ring finger ring, purchased in high school.
The side profile of this ring looks
like a face.




I was in high school eleven years ago today when the world as we knew it changed.  I was in my first period geography class when the World Trade Center was attacked.  It was shocking, frightening, and so senseless.  Looking back, we developed a new language to deal with our national grief.  Words like "ground zero" and the date "September 11" developed weighty meaning.  Today I take a brief break from my self-centered blogging to remember those who lost their lives eleven years ago today and those who love them.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the colorful jeans and adorable scarf :)

    -Mary @ stylethatmoves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.