Saturday, December 29, 2012

Closet Excavation Challenge

There are treasures hiding in there.
It has been a while since I challenged myself on this blog.  Too long, really.  One of the main reasons I maintain this blog is as a reminder to step out of my sartorial comfort zone on a regular basis.

The idea for my January challenge was hatched when Chenille helped me clean out my closet.  She gave me a second opinion on what should stay, what should go, and what has been forgotten for too long.  I sent some closet orphans home with Chenille, some went to Goodwill, and some remained in my closet with a vow to wear them more often.

I've decided that the best way to make sure that I am making good use of my wardrobe is by working my way through my closet systematically.  I plan on mostly working from front to back, with exceptions made for special-occasion clothes and the few items I have that are on the snug side right now.

I'm looking forward to this challenge because it takes some of the thought out of choosing what to wear while also challenging me to make the next item in line fit the day I have ahead.

I anticipate that this challenge will take more than one month.  I have a lot of clothes.  To save my memory and help me keep track I will mark the tags of clothes I've already worn with tiny safety pins.  I won't prohibit wearing the same piece twice (it could be the focal piece in one outfit and supporting player in another), but the more variety I have the quicker this challenge will go.

My clothes are organized by color and garment-type, so look forward to a slow progression of rainbow shades in the coming weeks.  I'll make sure to point out which piece of the outfit is the main event.

I'm so excited about this challenge that I'm starting today.  Who knows what I'll find deep down in the recesses of my closet.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a great challenge. I'm excited to see how you do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And some "orphans" came to your mother. We'll see how they work in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.