Monday, May 20, 2013

When It's Not About Me

Life as a whole is not all about me, but most of the time the way I dress is.  Every now and again an occasion pops up that prompts me to put aside my sartorial selfishness and think about how what I wear reflects on others.  Stephen received an award from his company (Congratulations, sweetie!), and we went to the awards ceremony.  This was not the occasion for three kinds of leopard print or one-piece pattern mixing.
 

Dress, Target; wrap, purchased in India; shoes, Target; earrings, handmade by me; collar, thrifted; bracelet, Target.
 

Apparently when I think tasteful, I think of clothes from Target.  I don't know what that says about me.  I bought this dress right around the time I moved to Georgia (two years ago).  It almost fit.  This is the first time I've worn it because this is the first time it has actually fit.  Do as I say, not as I do: Don't buy clothes that "almost" fit.  It's just silly.
 

I let a little bit of zaniness seep into the outfit via the collar-style necklace and fish-print wrap.  I was inspired by the Star Trek: The Original Series episodes I've been watching lately, so I paired a structured dress with flowy, "exotic" accessories.  Structure and "exotic" are two themes I've notice in TOS costuming.  I've been watching too much Star Trek.  Stephen said it was Game of Thrones style, and that works for me too.  I chose nude heels for that deformed Barbie-foot effect.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.