Sunday, March 31, 2013

Fave Five: Souvenirs

I love travel.  You can learn a lot about yourself when you step out of your routine and your comfort zone and experience new places.
  • Experiences: The best things you can bring back from any trip aren't "things" at all, they are memories.  Vacations are a perfect time to try something new.  Stephen and I fell in love with snorkeling on our first trip to Cozumel, and I treasure the memories (and photos) of seeing fish and coral up close.  
    I bought this coffee on my first trip to
    Portland.
  • Coffee or Tea: When you buy coffee or tea as a souvenir you can revisit the trip every time you brew up a pot.  Coffee, tea, and other consumables are also good because you don't have to devote space in your life to them indefinitely.  
  • Jewelry: You may have noticed that much of my jewelry was purchased on trips.  I love that jewelry takes up so little physical space, but can instantly provide a tangible connection to great memories.
  • Beads and Craft Supplies: I bought fabric in India, beads on one trip to Portland, and yarn on another Portland trip.  Craft supplies are a wonderful souvenir because you get to re-live the joys of the trip while you use the supplies and then re-live it again when you wear or use your finished project.
  • Clothing: One of the best souvenirs I've bought recently is a fleece jacket with Las Vegas embroidered on the chest.  I've worn it dozens and dozens of times since that trip to the gym or just running around.  Every time I wear it I think of our fun weekend in Vegas.

I enjoyed reminiscing about the trip while I
made these earrings and again every time I
wear them.
Every time I wear this necklace and earrings set
it brings happy memories of first trip to
Cozumel.
I use souvenirs sort of like a string tied around my finger.  They are physical reminders of happy memories.  In the past I have had trouble with buying too many of those reminders, but now I try to settle on  just one or two.  That way each item is special and meaningful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.