Thursday, August 15, 2013

Not as I've Done

Do as I say, not as I've done.  Buying clothes that don't fit is a bad idea.  It's demoralizing and a waste of money.  Nonetheless, I purchased this dress on a shopping trip with my sister a few years ago.  Years!  It just barely fit the day I got it.  Then, after a combination of self-consciousness and weight gain, it moved to the back of my closet until today.  Today is the first time I've ever worn it.  It would have made a lot more sense to buy a dress that fit and in which I felt confident in the first place.
 

Dress, Younkers; shoes, Younkers; necklace and earrings, handmade by me; bracelet, flea market.
 

I've (foolishly) bought a lot of clothes that don't fit over the years.  Sometimes it has been because I think I need to lose a little more weight before a style will look good on me.  Sometimes it has been because of a twisted sense of optimism... eg. "I've already lost 10 pounds, so surely I'll lose 10 more."  Oddly, it wasn't until I stopped that silliness that I actually started to fit into all those clothes.
 

I love these shoes, but they really aren't the right ones for this outfit.  I should have chosen something that extended the line of my legs instead of cutting them off.  These shoes would work better in the winter with tights.  I did get a number of compliments on the shoes...  All from male coworkers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.