Monday, February 4, 2013

Quick Craft: Pretty Storage Jars

I save some jars from pasta sauce, bread yeast, salsa, and the like to reuse as storage in the pantry, and this weekend they got much prettier.  Even though the jars functioned perfectly well with Ragu written on the lid, I was tired of looking at old labels.  This weekend my mom and I got together for a craft day and prettied up the lids with floral designs.

Pretty Storage Jars

Tools and Materials:

  • Jars with metal lids
  • Sandpaper
  • All-materials primer
  • Small, sponge-style paintbrush
  • Acrylic paints in pretty colors
  • Tiny paintbrushes


We started by lightly sanding the lids to allow the primer to stick.  We then used the small foam paintbrush to paint the lids.  We figured out eventually that it was much easier to paint the lids while they were on the jars.  We used foam paintbrushes to paint the lids because primer can be hard to clean out of good paintbrushes.

Once the primer was dry we used the tiny paintbrushes and acrylic paints to paint flowers on the lids.  It was a quick and simple craft, though I quickly remember that I haven't painted anything decorative in at least a decade.  It took some time for the creative juices to start flowing.



Glass jars are great in the pantry because you can easily see their contents, they do not retain flavors or smells once you wash them, and they are air tight to keep dry goods fresher longer.  Now I like these even better because they are pretty as well as useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.