Sunday, December 11, 2011

Thrifty Nifty

I never realized how many of my wardrobe staples were purchased second-hand until I started writing them down.  Barely a day goes by that I don't wear something that I found via consignment, thrift store, Goodwill, or the like.

There are definitely advantages, disadvantages and strategies to use when shopping second-hand.  Here are some.

Advantages:
Peacock pants: $3
  • Price price price.  It isn't uncommon for items to be 99¢ or less.  I have suede, silk, leather, fur, and designer labels in my closet that cost $5 or less.  Many consignment stores mark down clothing even more if it has been in the shop longer than a given amount of time.  My mom always says "it's just as nice if it's on sale."  I think it's actually nicer.
  • One-of-a-kind fashion.  You can find great vintage clothing and unique designs that chances are no one else you know will have.  On a recent trip to Goodwill I found some blue corduroy J. Crew slacks with peacocks embroidered all over them.  Yes.  You read that correctly.  It's hard to say whether the crazy fashion or the price is my favorite part of thrifting.  Luckily I don't have to decide.
  • Large and varied selection.  Second-hand stores often have 50+ years of fashion under one roof.
  • Low cost = low commitment.   The low buy-in cost of thrifted items makes it easy to try styles that you might not otherwise. 
Disadvantages:
  • One-of-a-kind fashion.  Chances are if an item isn't in my size there won't be another one there to try.  I few of my belts (like my bee and frog one) are truly too small, but I didn't want to pass them up.  When I see something truly fabulous that isn't in my size I brainstorm anyone I know who might fit it.
  • Large and varied selection.  Just because there are 500 different blouses on a rack does not mean they will have the kind you're looking for.  
  • Condition issues.  Second-hand items need to be thoroughly checked for holes, stains, and other signs of wear and tear.  It's bad enough that I often end up wearing my coffee.  I don't need to wear someone else's. 
Strategies:
  • Leave enough time 
  • Keep and open mind.  Sometimes you don't know what something will look like until it is on.  It pays to try a variety of styles, sizes, and colors.  Again, this is low cost, low commitment shopping.  You can afford to try new things.
  • If you have the time and skills, consider altering to fit your needs.  Some things, especially hems, are easy to change or repair.  If the only thing wrong with a pair of pants or a skirt is the length, consider shortening to fit you.  
  • Shop as a team... ideally with a friend who wears a different size.  That way you don't have to leave behind any precious find, but you also don't have to stab your BFF over a pair of precious peacock embroidered pants.
  • Don't forget jewelry, purses and other accessories.

A few of my favorite things to thrift?
Jackets (Unique and thrifty)
Tan suede:
my favorite jacket ever


Yay green pleather
Embrio-duroy fun






















Jewelry (Great costume finds)
 



Belts (Almost all of my belts are thrifted.)
Frogs and bees
Yellow bow


Green studded
Red w/ silver loop

Dresses, skirts, blouses, sweaters... Let's be honest, I like it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.
If you have trouble commenting or just feel like sending me an email, please email me at the address provided on the About I Dream of... {by Jeanne} page.